Friday, January 11, 2008

Orange Bread/Coffee Cake

I just love making this...but because we are no longer eating everything that dares show itself to us, I haven't really been doing much baking. But...I love this!! So, I made it, prepared it the night before, put it in the fridge to bake in the morning. Imagining a wonderful smell permeating the entire house, starting the day off on a positive note. Pretty much my very first thought upon awakening was about this...don't forget to preheat the oven, make sure that it stayed all together, oh I am SO looking forward to this!!! So up I get and turn on the oven...takes for EVER to heat up!! (could have been my imagination, but I don't think so lol) It's finally ready to use!! YAAAYYY!! So in it goes! Set the timer for 45 minutes, this leaves us about 15 minutes to enjoy this once it comes out, then, wrap the rest up and TAKE IT TO WORK!!!! (this is how we are getting away with baking really good stuff!!). I am really looking forward to this! Yumm! It starts to smell pretty good in here...I go get ready for work. Ok, it's time!! I check it, oops, looks like it needs a few more minutes, not brown yet, ok...I get my lunch ready. I check it...looks good! I make the glaze then take it out of the oven and flip it onto the plate I have waiting...hhmm, what is that? There seems to be an awful lot of liquid in that pan. Why? What is it? Wait a minute, that's the Butter!! Why is it swimming in butter? The butter should have been incorporated into the body of the coffee cake....look closer at the center...IT"S NOT DONE!!!! Oh no! It's already taken 5 minutes extra, leaving us only 10 to enjoy it, NOW I have to figure out what to do with it, it's out of it's pan...Trav to the rescue!!! He pulls out a cookie sheet, we slide it on and put it back in the oven. We check it every 5 minutes...we leave 10 minutes late for work. We have our cake AT WORK as we are sharing it with everyone there (split it in half, both offices deserve to share in the bounty). It didn't work out quite the way I had planned, but it still tasted good and it most definitely gave me Blog Fodder, once I got over being devastated by it's betrayal! I'm, thinking that next time I won't let it sit over night in the fridge, I think the butter solidified and didn't melt correctly during the baking, because, altho I preheated the oven, I did NOT preheat the bundt pan, so it went in cold, took a bit to heat up then still had to melt the butter, that was once distributed evenly over the other contents. This turned out to be a "not good thing". LOL

Anyways, I thought you might like to try this recipe, it really is very good and it could be fun to make this with a kid, since they seem to love to get things all messy!.

Orange Bread

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
1 (3 oz) package of cream cheese cut into 20 squares
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 (11 oz) cans of refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (packages should have 10 biscuits each)
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice

Combine first three ingredient in small bowl: set aside

Separate biscuit dough into individual biscuits; gently separate individual biscuits in half. Place a cream cheese square between the 2 halves, and pinch sides to seal each back together. Dip in butter, and dredge in reserved sugar mixture. Stand biscuits on edge in a lightly greased 12-cup Bundt pan, spacing evenly. Drizzle with remaining butter, and sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until golden. Immediately invert onto a serving plate.

Combine powdered sugar and orange juice, stir well. Drizzle over warm bread. Serve immediately.
Yield: one ten inch coffee cake.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm... Sounds delish!

Lambie :D